Friday, September 02, 2005

This comes here so that I don't loose it as I did with the Google SoC application (thanks to Murray Stokely, who had it and sent it back to me)


Summer of Code Participant Report
#########################################################
Student Information
==================================
First Name: Shteryana
Last Name: Shopova
Email Address: shteryana@yahoo.com
Project Name: bsnmp
Expected Graduation Date: 10/2006

Mentor Relations
==================================
1.How would you describe your relationship with your mentor?
A: It was just about perfect
C: I enjoyed working with my mentor very much. He encouraged me to contnue good work and I appreciate that a lot.
2.Was your mentor able to answer your queries?
A:Yes, and in a timely fashion
C:I usually received responces almost immediately after I asked, my mentor both helped me solve the problems I had while doiing the project and provide very useful advice.
3.What communication mediums have you used to communicate with your mentor/mentoring organization?
A:Email/Mailing Lists
C:I decided to stay away from IRC to be able to devote more time to the project - I was afraid otherwise I might have been spending more time in IRC than actually writing code
4.Which of the above communication mediums did you use most-frequently to communicate with your mentor/mentoring organization?
A:Email/Mailing Lists
C:

The Project
=====================================
1.Where is your code located?
A: Source repository location: http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=/depot/projects/soc2005/bsnmp&HIDEDEL=YES
2. What license(s) are you applying to your source? Check all that apply.
A:BSD
C:
3.How much time per week have you been putting toward your project, on average?
A: 20-30 hours per week
C: 3-4 hours after work on weekdays = average 15-20 + 10-15 on weekends
4.Are you happy with the resulting code you produced?
A: It could have been better.
C: I'll be working on improving the project
5. What is the coolest thing you learned during the Summer of Code?
A: how to write and install a man page under FreeBSD
6. What was the biggest technical challenge in your Summer of Code project?
A: The whole project I guess
7. Do you plan on contributing to open source after the Summer of Code?
A: Yes, I plan to continue working with the mentor/organization I worked with for the Summer of Code.
C: I'm planning to contunie working on my SoC project - both on improving current functionality and adding new functionality + I want to continue working with my mentor and my mentoring organization on other projects as well (I guess, after I'm happy with the results from my current project )

The Summer of Code
============================================
1.How did you hear about the Summer of Code?
A: I first heard about it on a web forum - http://netsec.iseca.org/forum//list.php?f=3
2. What do you think could be improved about the Summer of Code? Note that taxes and paperwork are unavoidable.
A: I liked the idea of Summer-Accepted-2005-NH Google group a lot but I think important information (e.g. forms required to fill, anouncing deadlines) should be separated in a additional group; also adding forms and taxes howto-s next time would be nice (I guess you might want to ask the SoC2005 students help with that)
3. Please provide, in the space below, a one paragraph description of your project (with links to your project webpages) that we can put on the Google Code website.

A: SNMP client tools using FreeBSD's libbsnmp
------------------------------------------------------------
bsnmpget is a simple tool for retrieving the management information from a server using SNMP (Simple Network Managment Protocol). Depending on the options it constructs either a SMNP GetRequest or a SNMP GetBulkRequest packet, fills in the OIDs (object identifiers) of the objects whose values will be retrived, waits for a responce and prints it if received successfully.
bsnmpset is a simple tool for setting management information to network entity server using SNMP (Simple Network Managment Protocol). Depending on the options it constructs a SMNP SetRequest packet, fills in the OIDs (object identifiers), syntaxes and values of the objects whose values are to be set and waits for a responce from server.
bsnmpwalk is a simple tool for retrieving the management information from a network entity using SNMP (Simple Network Managment Protocol). Depending on the options it queries an agent with SMNP GetNextRequest packets, asking for values of OID (object identifiers) instances that are a part of the object subtree rooted at the provided OID.
( I haven't set up a project's separate website - but the FreeBSD SoC wiki site contains information for my project - http://wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/ShteryanaShopova - will also be updated ASAP)

Other Questions
===========================================
1. Why did you choose to get involved in open source?
A: I prefer using open-source software for several reasons. Having the ability to modify existing code to fit completely my current needs without you having to re-write all from scratch is one of the strongest points. I also love the fact that when I'm trying to do a something but it goes wrong no matter what I do, I can look simply look at the source and figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I wanted to give my contribution to the community :)
2. How long have you been developing software?
A: 1 to 3 years.
C: I've been doing serious programming for about year and a half, and writing code since some time after I entered university in autumn '2000 (once as a child - around 1992 - a had a 8-bit PC for a while - I have in my mind something like doing some code in basic drawing circles and stuff - but I remeber nothing of it - so that doesn't count ;-) )
3. How long have you been involved in open source?
A: This is the first open source project I've been involved with.
C: I hope it won't be the last one though.
4. If this is not your first experience with open source software development, what open source projects have you been involved with?
A:
5. If you'd like your location to be identified on a map, please enter your coordinates. (Purely optional)
Latitude: 43 00 N
Longitude: 25 00 E
6.What is your favorite color?
A: red
7.Any other thoughts about the program you'd like to share?
A: This was a great idea - and great program
:)

No comments: